Online Course Strategies
1) Create a sense of presence
2) Don’t lecture — talk
3) First two weeks critical
4) Create meta-videos (how the course works; technologies to be used)
5) Think Fluid – length based on topic and audience attention (20 minutes)
6) Think scaffolded assignments (even for interaction)
7) Give lots of feedback (even canned)
8) Redundancy and Remindancy
9) Make contact
10) Establish your comfort zone for contact and keep it.
11) Be playful
12) Be visual
- Video Example 1: Women’s Soccer – Past is Prologue
- Video Example 2: Cracks in the Institution
- Video Example 3: The Plunge into War
- Video Example 4: Thomas Laqueur and the One-Sex Model
Tips for doing your own videos
1) Use Camtasia — an excellent screen recording and video editing tool that has many tutorial videos.
2) Be mindful of the sound quality — good quality sound is one of the most important aspects of video.
3) Use three point lighting — see this article that explains it well.
4) Don’t try to be perfect — it takes much less time to edit out a bit of video than trying to do the whole video in one take.
5) Clap or make a loud sound when you make a mistake (or a moment of silence). This makes it easier to spot the places to edit.
Faculty Member Comments